Monday 29 April 2013

When Life Gives you Lemons...

Hey all!

This year, I have set out to be more positive and happy, as I feel the past few years of my life have been consumed with sadness. I have got both my health and priorities back on track, and I decided that it was about time I chose happiness!

I am planning on starting a new blog series where I share either a tip, or something I have done the past 9 months or so, which have boosted my confidence or made me just a more positive person in general. But today, I wanted to talk about a little saying that has helped me get through these past few weeks.



                                        Photo Courtesy- www.sprinkleofglitter.blogspot.com
 
Thanks to the beautiful Louise, (sprinkleofglitter) I was able to find a picture for this blogpost and have had it set as my phone background for weeks.
 
Sometimes, we can't control what life gives us and we can't control whether we have a day of good or bad luck, but we can decide what our mentality is, and our attitude towards the events that we are faced with. I think that it's natural for us to sulk, or moan or get angry when things do not plan out how we hoped they would, but you have to take yourself out of the situation and ask 'is it worth it'?
 
Is this small upset something that should consume our day, or week? Is it something that you can over come? I think that, initally, you need to approach a negative situation logically- what exactly has gone wrong and how can you either fix it, or try and correct it.
 
This simple saying truly helped me last week. I have been working on my textiles coursework for months now, and one day after school, I stayed for a few hours and added some new slides which I was very content and pleased with. To cut a long story short, the power in the class room I was working in, got turned off by the caretaker and technician, despite them seeing me working in the class room and failed to warn me that they were planning on cutting off the power chord- (how ridiculous?)! They were rude towards me, mocking me and not helping me when I asked for advice on how to sort my computer out, and questioned whether my document was safe. Turned out I lost that copy of my presentation and was left with an old and unformatted power point, with many missing slides. I was furious and honestly could feel the back of my neck burning up in anger! I had never been so furious at a member of staff! I decided that I would go to the toilets and just calm myself, get my head together and think about what I was going to do.
 
It was then that I looked at my phone and saw the words 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade' and I realised that yes, I had lost some of my work, but this gave me a new opportunity to improve and make my power point even better. I found myself feeling surprisingly happy and calm towards the situation and walked back into the room, sat down and continued with my work, as I had intended to before the whole power finasco!
 
I guess the moral of this point is that nothing has to be a negative. Not everything has to be a downer, and sometimes what appears to be a curse is a blessing in disguise. So get your lemon peeler, your juicer and your straws and give the cruel world a serving of your lemonade! (Oh, how cheesey)
 
saskiajessie, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment